Triple girls’ enrollment in TVET campaign get a momentum
This is in line with the implementation of one of the presidential commitments of HeforShe.
Rwanda’s impact framework assigned to WDA which is Triple girls’ enrollment in Technical and Vocational trainings to advance women’s employment opportunities up to 50 per cent female share in TVET by 2020.
Among the new approach that the School managers and Gender Focal Points encouraged include the introduction of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) schools preordained female for gender mainstreaming across the TVET sectors.
Besides to that, as the cultures believes have been hampering the move of increasing the female into TVET schools in male dominated trades, experts have advocated for approach of role modeling in TVET in course of courting the female students into male dominated trades.
“By going with role-modeling, we have to look for women who have been successful in her TVET undertakings and who have educated in the field related to what she learnt, which is TVET,” said Augustin Kimonyo, the National Programme Specialist of Central Africa Sub-Regional Office of the United Nations Development Fund for Women.
According to WDA official figures indicates that over 390 Gender Focal Persons from countrywide TVET schools will be trained under the module. So far, the three bunch of teachers coming from 13 districts out of six that will take place in course, have already enrolled on module.
The Gender Focal points called for robust mobilization campaign with private sector aiming at unlocking the culture false believes that favor male TVET graduates over their female colleagues as the ultimate deed to get way out with the discrepancy of both sex -male and female.
According to the experts, the suggested enlistment meant to locking the mindset of believing that TVET education is meant for the children fail with formal education. Besides to that, the private sector have been blamed for not believing in the female graduates.
“We have acquired and shared our different experiences from different society, and we expect the [positive outcomes,” said Rosette Uwamariye, the Gender focal person in TVET school.
Officials said the government is considering launching the mobilization campaign with private sector aiming at unlocking the culture false believes that favor male TVET graduates over their female colleagues as waiting for the final document to get the better ways of increasing female students in the TVET.
As the country pushing for job creation spirit among the graduates, government wants to have 60 per cent of learners enrolling for TVET while the remaining 40 per cent proceed with general education.
Under this arrangement, 200,000 off-farm jobs are expected to be created annually, a result anticipated to slash the soaring figures of unemployment that currently stand at 13 per cent among college graduates in the country. However, experts said the efforts could be in vain as the TVET sector looked down at and not fight the tendency by female students to shunning technical studies labeling it a male field.